Organization: Roslindale Village Main Street
Location: 4228 Washington Street, Roslindale, MA 02131
Grant Date: 2014
The Foundation supported the restoration of the windows of the Roslindale Substation, built in 1911 as an electrical power conversion and transmission station. The substation now houses a retail space and beer garden and is a community gathering space for all ages. It won a Preservation Achievement Award from the Boston Preservation Alliance in 2020.
Above photo by Elisif Brandon. Bottom left photo by PCA Architects. Bottom right photo by Bruce Spero.
The Roslindale Substation was a switching station for Boston’s early 20th Century streetcar system and had been empty since 1971. Its redevelopment affirms the community vision for Roslindale Village, blending historic preservation, public access, and economic activity.